Fast & Easy American Sandwich Bread
The fastest, easiest soft sandwich bread
- 1 Loaf pan 8.5" x 4.5"
- 1 Stand mixer
- Parchment paper (optional)
- 2 Cups Bread (or all-purpose) flour 11 oz
- 6 Tbsp Whole wheat flour 2 oz
- 2.25 tsp Instant or RapidRise yeast
- 1.25 Cups Water + 2 Tbsp 120F
- 3 Tbsp Butter, unsalted melted
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 Egg + 1 tsp water + pinch of salt Optional
- In the bowl of your stand mixer place flours, yeast, 1.25 cups water, 2 Tbsp melted butter, and honey. Using the paddle attachment (not the dough hook) mix on low for 1 minute, then on medium for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides if needed and mix on medium for 2 more minutes. Remove bowl from the mixer and leave the paddle in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for about 20 minutes or until about doubled in size.
- Prepare your loaf pan by:spraying it with nonstick spray OR lightly buttering it or lining it with parchment and lightly buttering the parchment (this is the best method, IMO).
- Dissolve salt in 2 Tbsp of water. Reattach bowl and paddle. Add salt water mixture and mix on low for about 40 seconds then on medium for about 1 minute.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan and smooth it so it's top is even. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes or until it comes halfway up the rest of the loaf pan.Preheat the oven to 375FRemove the plastic wrap and brush the egg mixture gently over the top (optional). Leave uncovered in a warm place to rise for another 10 minutes or so until the dough is level with the top rim of the pan.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, turning about halfway through, until it is a deep, golden brown. If using a larger pan, check for doneness at 30 - 35 minutes. Done is an internal temperature of 210F.
- Remove from pan to a cooling rack and brush the top and sides with melted butter. Resist cutting until completely cool.
I've made this bread twice in three days. It's really easy and tasty. It is, by far, the easiest soft bread I've ever made and it doesn't take hours of rise time. Give it a try.