This article is part of our series on non-stick cookware.
Scanpan was founded in 1956; the cookware is designed and made by hand in Denmark. Recycled aluminum is melted and poured by hand into a mold, after which the pan or saucepan is pressure-cast with 250 tons of pressure. This unique casting technique ensures even heat distribution, making it pleasure to work with in the kitchen.
We carry the Classic line and the CTX line which both feature the proprietary STRATANIUM non-stick surface that is both PFOA- and PFOS-free. The two main differences between the Classic and the CTX are
- Classic pieces are made from recycled aluminum
- CTX pieces are made from 5-ply stainless steel
- Classic handles are rivet-less
- CTX is induction ready
With the introduction of their Stratanium coating, SCANPAN broke the boundaries of what a nonstick coating can do. They developed a surface coating that combines an impressive release effect, durability and unique frying properties.
With Stratanium you don’t need to use oil or fat when frying nor to reach the exact degree of crispiness and browning. Neither of these pans should be used with “fake” fats or oils or anything with an aerosol.
Both Classic and CTX allow for use of metal utensils and are oven safe up to 500F. You can sear, braise, and deglaze as well as fry without the use of oil. Medium heat or lower is a must to retain the non-stick quality of the cookware. The squeeze-cast aluminum pans conduct heat so quickly and efficiently that you can easily able to achieve a great sear/browning/reduction result on medium heat without hot spots.
- CLASSIC: Made of recycled aluminum with STRATANIUM coating
- CTX: Made of 5-ply stainless steel with STRATANIUM coating
- Oven save to 500F
- Medium or lower heat on stove top
- Metal utensils okay
- Made in Denmark
- Induction ready – CTX only
- Dishwasher safe (CTX is dishwasher safe but not recommended to keep the exterior like new).