Basic Easy Pie Dough
Makes enough for a single crust pie. For a pie needing a top crust, double the recipe.
- 1.25 cups All-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 tsp White sugar
- 1/4 tsp Fine sea salt
- 8 Tbsp Butter, unsalted, cut into small cubes, very cold
- 3 Tbsp Water, VERY cold
- Gather your ingredients. I usually cut the butter and place it in the freezer along with a small glass of water while I gather everything else.
- Place flour and the very cold butter in the bowl for your stand mixer (or food processor) and beat until the mixture look like course corn meal. Make sure the butter pieces are pea-sized or smaller.
- While the mixer is running, add the water one tablespoon at a time mixing just until the dough comes together. Use a tiny bit more water if needed taking care not to add to much or your dough will be too sticky.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface. Make a thick disk of the dough and place in on the floured surface. Roll it into a round (ish) shape turning the dough 1/4 turn between rollings, sprinkling more flour top and bottom as needed.